In order to prepare Van Ness Avenue for the construction of the Van Ness Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system, the City’s Public Works Department must remove trees in the Van Ness median and on some sidewalks. There will be a Public Hearing to consider the following:Removal of eighty-eight (88) trees maintained by Public Works within the Van Ness Ave. medians with replacement of two hundred ten (210) trees in the medians on Van Ness Ave. between Lombard and Market St. The removal of trees in the medians is a part of the approved Van Ness Corridor Transit Improvement Project.
Monday, August 24, 2015 – 5:30 p.m.
Room 416 of City Hall,
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco
Interested parties are encouraged to attend. Persons unable to attend the public hearing may submit written comments regarding the subject matter to the Bureau of Urban Forestry, 1680 Mission Street, 1st floor, San Francisco, CA 94103. These comments will be brought to the attention of the hearing officer and made a part of the official public record.
The Van Ness Corridor Transit Improvement Project includes:
- Construction of a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system including dedicated, center-running transit lane, boarding islands, curb bulbs, median refuges; Overhead Contact System (OCS) replacement;
- traffic signal system replacement and upgrade; sewer replacement; water and Auxiliary Water Supply System replacement;
- streetlight pole replacement; and, street repaving.
The Van Ness Streetscape Improvement Project will be installed at the close of the project and will include the planting of 85 trees in new locations and removal and replacement of 106 trees that are currently in poor condition or will not tolerate the amount of root disturbance that will occur during construction activities. The proposed removals may be phased to reduce the impact to the local community.
- Median tree removal 88 – Median tree planting 210
- Sidewalk tree removal 106 S- idewalk tree planting 191
- Total removals 194 – Replacement trees 401
For Van Ness Transit Corridor Improvement Project information, please visit sfmta.com/vannessbrt. For questions or comments about the Van Ness Transit Corridor Improvement Project, or to be added to the project mailing list, please email email@example.com or call (415) 749-2446.
Further information about the Van Ness Streetscape Improvement Project may be obtained prior to the hearing by phoning (415) 554-6700.