When construction for the Van Ness Improvement Project begins October 24, the way people travel Van Ness Avenue will change almost immediately.
The first changes will happen near Broadway:
- The permissible left turn lane southbound at Broadway will be turned into a second dedicated left turn lane. This will keep traffic moving and increase safety for people driving.
- To make space for this change, parking on Van Ness between Vallejo and Broadway must be removed from the western (southbound) side.
- The southbound bus stop on Van Ness at Vallejo will be temporarily relocated one block north to Green. This bus stop will be relocated for approximately 16 months.
Next, construction crews will prepare the roadway to make room for the removal of the existing median:
- Most left turns from Van Ness will be removed. The only left turns permitted will be southbound at Broadway and northbound at Lombard. A left turn northbound at Hayes will also be permitted until April 2017. Drivers who currently make left turns from Van Ness Avenue are advised to test new routes before the left turns are eliminated.
- Van Ness will be reduced from three to two lanes of travel in each direction. People traveling in and through the area are advised to allow extra travel time.
These traffic changes will set the stage for the much-needed utility replacements that will make up the first two years of construction. To be the first notified of any additional changes or construction work, be sure to sign up for email updates.
Once construction is complete in 2019, transit riders will experience quicker Muni and Golden Gate Transit trips and walking Van Ness will be much safer for everyone. With your help and patience, we’ll restore Van Ness Avenue to a beautiful street for us all to enjoy.