The Civic Center Community Benefit District (CBD) is an assessment district organized by a group of concerned property owners, arts organizations, and other stakeholders to improve the image, safety, beautification and cleanliness of the area.

What is a Community Benefit District (CBD)?

A Community Benefit District (CBD) provides essential services such as safety, cleaning and maintenance and activation to supplement and complement those provided by local government. The San Francisco Board of Supervisors approved the formation of the Civic Center CBD on January 4, 2011.

Who manages the Civic Center CBD?

The Civic Center Community Benefit District, Inc., a non-profit organization formed July 1, 2011, implements the services, represents the owners and institutions and meete the following objectives set forth in the management plan:

  • Create and manage programs that best respond to the top priorities of the Civic Center CBD stakeholders;
  • Maximize coordination with the City and County of San Francisco and the San Francisco Board of Supervisors to avoid duplication of services and leverage resources;
  • Deliver services through a cost-effective non-bureaucratic and easy to assess organizational structure;
  • Provide for accountability to those who pay assessments.

The Board of Directors employs an executive director to handle the management and operations for the Civic Center CBD Inc. Property owners who are assessed within the CBD elect members of the CBD Board of Directors.

To ensure broad representation and accountability, the Board of Directors is comprised of stakeholders within the district, a mix of large and small property owners, businesses, district art organizations, governmental, commercial and residential tenants.

What Properties Are in the District?

Funding for the Civic Center CBD is From Assessments on Property

All parcels in a district –  residential, commercial and governmental (city, county, or state) – can be included, and property owners pay a share of the cost of the Community Benefit District. Assessments are based on a formula that proportionately distributes costs to fit the specific properties located within the District. The district, as described above, is run by a board of directors.

To see if your parcel is in the district, use the Property Information Tool from the Office of the Assessor-Recorder.

 

What is the Annual Budget, and What is it Spent On?

The annual budget is outlined in Civic Center CBD’s Management Plan and is allocated into the following spending categories, with 98% of the costs covered by assessments, and the other 2% are covered by non-assessment revenue. See the CCCBD Management Plan for more information on these categories.

[charts id=26572]

[charts id=26367]